Our house has been full of cousin love and birthday celebrations this week. More than once I have caught my breath with the specialness of it all.
You only turn 1 once. You only turn 3 once. You only get to run amuk through the house and the yard and the pool and the park with your cousins for a short season in life.
Earlier in the week I attended a Women In Business event at Ruth's Chris sponsored by Marie Claire. The featured speaker was Jessica Herrin, founder of the very successful jewelry company Stella & Dot. (You might remember I did a giveaway this year for one of their awesome necklaces.)
Jessica Herrin was so empowering. The frank way she spoke, it's no wonder that she has given thousands and thousands of women a purpose and life changing perspective.
One of the things she said was, "I don't think you should define 'balance' as mediocrity. That's not how life is best lived." When those words came out of her mouth, a relief washed over me. I've been ruminating on the idea of balance for months (years?) and she put words into what I've been thinking, but have been unable to express (partly because it's an unpopular take on the work/play/wife/mom zen we all keep trying to achieve).
It's given me a lot to think about.
To be a part of the HH facebook community, like the page here.
Also, don't forget enter the LoveFeast velvet pumpkin giveaway! Today is the last day.
For your weekend reading pleasure:
- In my new kitchen, I'm trying to cook a lot more. Sometimes it's a lot of effort, but I like the way it makes me feel. Grounded, somehow. This is a great list of Favorite Kitchen Tools. I like seeing what other people use. (And I've been meaning to get a rice cooker for ages). (Shutterbean)
- My friend Jen threw a little blogger dinner last weekend and it was such a lovely evening. She wrote a recap, and man you have to check out this cake. So creative! (Blah Blah Blahger)
- I met Jill from The Fab Mom this week at the Jessica Herrin event, and I noticed her pretty pink ring. She laughed and told me there was a story behind it, and later tweeted me the link. I totally get so many parts of this post. Rings, Rules, Being Wrong and Being Right.
- How many times do I have to link to a post raving about Project Life before I up and just buy one already? Here's another one, making me want to document my family more, as usual. (Mommy by day, crafter by night)
- My column this week at allParenting asks Is Creepy Holiday Decor Good for Kids? What do you think?
The family fun rages on this weekend. And then then we have a bit of a break from our travel and houseguest madness of the last few months. And by "break," I just mean a couple of weeks. But it feels blissful to look forward to all the same.
Happy weekend, HH readers!
Enter your email address in the box in the right sidebar to receive my posts as emails, or subscribe using your favorite reader. If you're more the facebook type, you can "like" HH here and receive all my posts + original content in your news stream.