I have had a ton of luck with my favorite flash sale sites. But it has almost always been on items that I already knew something about, or a brand that I was a fan of. This week I came across an instance that reminded me of why you should do a quick price check before you press "purchase."
Here's a red play kitchen by KidKraft that was sold on Gilt this week. We've been looking for something similar for Pigtail's birthday and this one looked really cute. This seemed like a decent price for this sort of thing, given the other brands I've been researching.
I was just about to click purchase...
I did a quick google search and look what came up! The exact same kitchen on amazon for $20 cheaper and available through Prime (since I'm a Prime member that means I wouldn't pay shipping and it would arrive fast).
What made me the most irritated is that amazon says the regular retail price is $180. Gilt was claiming the regular retail was $220. Had I bought through Gilt, I would have paid the price difference, plus shipping, plus a longer ship time.
I'm a big believer in online shopping. But be careful not to be duped.
This week on the HH facebook page we had a fascinating discussion about vitamins. (Really, it was such a helpful thread!)
Don't miss a thing - like the HH facebook page here.
For your weekend reading pleasure:
- Well, this Ted talk inspired me. It's like a big version of my life in increments. I know there are some things I want to try like this, I just need to stick to my guns about them. It's so easy to let chaos get in the way.
- If you're active in the social media world, I'm sure you've wondered if it's all just noise. If we're all yelling into a million vacuums. Here's what a fired television writer can teach you about storytelling. (Copyblogger)
- Do you read P.S. I Made This? I've been following her on Instagram for awhile now and her projects are pretty awesome.
- Ever wanted to know the names of all the kinds of high heels? Here's a cheat sheet for the lingo. (Ever & Wright)
- I am so strangely into this Horchow tortoise lamp.
- After all the talk this week about the kitchen remodel, I gave my tips on How to survive a renovation over at allParenting.
My mom is here this weekend. We've been cooking and laughing and I just love having her around.
We're in full birthday week mode, which is crazy and fun.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend, HH readers!
Enter your email address in the box in the right sidebar to receive my posts as emails, or subscribe using your favorite reader. If you're more the facebook type, you can "like" HH here and receive all my posts + original content in your news stream.