We are enjoying a normal week since the last week in November, nearly six weeks ago. We traveled to the east coast for Thanksgiving, then were home for just a few days before we flew to our lake house for a few weeks, unexpectedly to Oklahoma for a week, making it back to California in time to celebrate Christmas. Then on the first day of the new year we met my family in Colorado for a week in the snow.
I squeak things in through the cracks. I return emails on my phone, quickly, and then only sometimes. I remember, then forget, then remember again to call the contractor. By the time I finish this paragraph, I’ll have forgotten again. I have systems in place, systems that work, generally, but “organization” is about as effective as shooting a potato gun at someone playing tag.
This week, "normal" felt good.
Next week I'm headed to Alt Summit in Salt Lake City! Are you going? I'd love to meet you.
This is a new conference for me, and I'm really excited about it. It's the first of three that I've already committed to this year (Blissdom in March and Mom 2.0 in May are the others) and I look forward to connecting with other bloggers.
Lately on the HH facebook page, I asked for input on the recent redesign, told you that The Gorilla and I had a huge difference of opinions on the Oscar nominations, and I heard from a bunch of readers about their favorite home decor blogs.
For your weekend reading pleasure:
- A few weeks ago I dyed my hair a dark ombre. It feels just right for right now. I could write a whole essay on how changing your hair can change your life. But right now I'll just ditto what Kathleen said in her post, A Story About My Hair. (Jeremy & Kathleen)
- Jeffrey Eugenides's Advice to Young Writers (The New Yorker)
- Well, this made me laugh. And I didn't get a perfect score! Quiz: Jay-Z lyric or Line from The Great Gatsby? (Vulture)
- In relation to the upcoming blog conferences: Why You Should Attend a Blogging Conference. (White House Black Shutters)
- One of these days we'll have a Friday Links when I don't mention Design Mom, but it's not today. I just love her series Living With Kids, and her latest edition introduced me to fellow Los Angeles blogger Deborah from My Life at Playtime.
- For my weekly column at allParenting, I've put together a list of stylish toy storage. Listen, my house is full of toy clutter. If you have to hide toys in plain site, at least make it cute.
- This last link is very, very difficult. Do not click through if you are having a sensitive day. I clicked on this link after someone posted it on facebook and it knocked me off my feet. But I do think it's an important message to share. Tragic accidents are every parents worst nightmare. This weekend we will be securing several pieces of furniture in our home that were not.
Don't forget to enter the Tog + Porter giveaway! Today is the last day.
Don't miss a word! Enter your email address in the box in the right sidebar to receive my posts as emails, or subscribe using your favorite reader. If you're more the facebook type, you can "like" HH here and receive all my posts + original content in your news stream.