Last week, most of The Gorilla's family gathered for our annual summer week together. It felt really good to be together. Incomplete, but better together than apart.
As usual, we ate a lot. We applied sunscreen a lot. We read quite a bit. Watched the World Cup. And, of course, went out on the boat.
I usually take advantage of the holiday sales, but I wasn't online much so I missed those last weekend. But clicking around looking for some curtains (I fell in love with these on sale, and these and these that weren't), I realized that an extra 20% off sale items at Anthropologie makes some of these accessories a really great price.
But the only thing I actually ended up buying was from the C. Wonder summer sale:
It's been awhile since we've had Friday Links, so dig right in with alllll the stuff I've bookmarked lately.
For your weekend reading pleasure:
- We have had to make such a large family decision (yet), but I thought this post from Rebekah Lyons was poignant. Goodbye, Beloved New York City
- I kinda want to print this out and tape it inside my pantry: The Secret to Baking the Best Chocolate Chip Cookie? Science. (Ozy)
- There are two things I love about this post from the Note To Self blog. 1.) I like how she caught her readers up visually with some shots from her summer days in New York. 2.) I couldn't agree more with what she says about the articles and angst over Instagram envy:
"Apparently people are being too perfect and it's stressing everyone else out.....My main issue with the articles like this is the harsh light cast on people taking pictures instead of suggesting a healthier way for Instagram users to process the experience. Some Instagrammers are ridiculous, yes. But is it not equally ridiculous to get emotional over a mobile phone image?....You do you, girlfriend. We are all that person sometimes."
- I saw this pin and thought it was a clever way to keep everyone on the same hashtag page at a social event.
- I'm making a pretty concerted effort to get better at photography. Yes, this interest waxes and wanes. I'll try for a bit, decided it's tooooo harrrrrrd, and then go back to using only my phone. Then I realize that my phone's photos aren't really all that great and so now I'm back to my big camera. (My friend Megan recently wrote My iPhone Robbed Me (But I'm Getting It Back), which is an interesting companion piece to the one on Instagram I quoted above. They're not as contradictory as you might think.) And also I really appreciated this easy-to-understand article All About Prime Lenses and Focal Lengths.
- If you follow entertainment industry news at all, you know that the popular and snarky Nikki Finke has been in an all out battle after her website got bought. But she's back! Why I Started NikkiFinke.com.
- Another thing I found on Pinterest, but have filed away in my head for when my kids are just a bit older: Grounded.
- Oh, no. Dooce Found Jesus. This is a great post. In Haiti, I learned just a fraction of what this group did about human sex trafficking and was horrified. My eyes have been opened this year to a lot of ugly things. Go read that post (with really other quality links about that trip).
While I've been spending less and less time in the digital world, I will always keep up first and best with my Secret Post subscribers. If you sign up to get my blog posts via email, you'll automatically get my Secret Posts. If you just want the Secret Posts, they come once or twice a month at the most.