It's here! One of my favorite social media days of the year: the One Day project on Instagram. (See One Day 2013 and One Day 2012.) Last year there were over 9,000 photos in the stream by the end of the day. Going through the day with one another was great.
This is such a fun project that everyone can participate in AND it's only One Day.
We'll be taking to Instagram and using the hashtag #OneDayHH this Wednesday, October 22.
Here's the goal:
Most of us are pretty good about getting cute pictures of the kids or selfies with our significant other. But what about all the other details that make up our life? They may seem sort unimportant as we move through the day, but our future selves will soak up the information that we take for granted. One Day is the Wednesday we set aside each year to capture what a typical day looks like in our life from the time we wake up in the morning until our heads hit the pillow at night.
Your favorite coffee mug, makeup palette, school dropoff, your cubicle, lunch partners, the street you drive each afternoon, humdrum errands, the inside of your fridge. All the details that don't usually make it onto your camera roll. This is what #OneDayHH is about.
Here's how it works on Wednesday:
- Snap pictures throughout the day. Upload to Instagram and make sure and use the #OneDayHH hashtag so that we can all follow one another.
- Photos don't have to be particularly artsy or beautifully composed. The emphasis is on WHAT you're capturing, not how awesome you can make it look. (So, basically the opposite of how you normally use Instagram, ha!)
- Feel free to use the graphic above (I'll be posting it and others to Instagram) in your own stream to give fair warning to your friends and followers. We'll all be posting more than usual on Wednesday, so a little heads up courtesy and explanation might be nice for people. Remind everyone that it's just for ONE DAY. You can also tag me @hollywoodhwife so I know you're participating!
- If you can't commit to the whole day, that's okay! Jump in when you can. The more the merrier.
- Consider using all the same filter or border on your One Day photos. I made a photo book of my One Day shots from last year, and I loved the way it looked.
- Check back here on the blog on Wednesday. I'll be posting some of my shots, and there will also be a link up. Everyone can participate in the link up using their Instagram account, and bloggers can link to their wrap up posts if they'd rather. There will be a little incentive for those who use the link up.
Questions? Let me know in the comments or just jump in on Wednesday. Following the hashtag is one of the best parts of the day.
I can't wait!
PS - want to know this kind of stuff ahead of time? My Secret Post subscribers learn everything first.