It is still summer here. We don't go back to school until after Labor Day.
It has been summer for many, many days.
We also had the discussion for Their Eyes Were Watching God if you want to read through the thoughtful conversation about that novel. The next book in the Read Great Books literature challenge is The Grapes of Wrath. I'll be doing a whole post about the Pulitzer-prize winner soon, but in the meantime we have over a month to read it. RSVP here for the discussion.
This week's episode of Sorta Awesome features one of my very best friends in the universe (and since host Megan is also one of my closest friends, I am giddy over this hour of listening). Cara is a surgeon with a stay-at-home husband, and she's talking about defying gender roles in her faith, culture, and profession. I think you find the whole thing interesting and thought-provoking.
For your weekend reading pleasure:
- This should make you smile.
- Have you read this cover story on Stephen Colbert making the Late Show his own? I've never watched Stephen Colbert, but these thoughts are genuinely so fascinating, especially those about grief and loss and gratitude.
- We're headed to the VMAs this weekend. Still, this story about the show doesn't even surprise me a little tiny bit.
- If you are a Stephen King fan, you will enjoy this story about his family (wow!).
- I'm not 100% sure how I would use this strategy, but I think you might like this TedX talk on How to create interest and connect with anyone.
We have a fun little weekend planned, a little family, a little productivity, a little fun. The best kind of rest.
Happy weekend to you!