This year has moved in fits and spurts. Some weeks and months have moved by torturously slow and others have me scrambling to find my head and a clock. Time is like that, I guess, but this year has been especially so. I spent almost every day this week confused.
I may have been confused, but I've read a lot, which steadies me. In the past 10 days I've finished this book, read this book and this book, and started this book. I'll do a books catch up soon, probably next week.
The Gorilla and I also saw Gone Girl in the theater. I liked it fine, but there's a reason I never see movies made from the books I loved. If you're looking for more Gillian Flynn, I liked Dark Places next best.
This week on the HH facebook page I asked for birthday gift suggestions for the kids (and got some great ones), shared a video of my favorite actress giving a shout out to my husband's movie (surreal), a posted a throwback Thursday of myself very pregnant, and very team spirited.
I have a new lipstick on I'm obsessed with. OBSESSED. I want it in every color. I'll only share this new beauty secret gem in the Secret Posts, which are going out next week. Also in this month's edition of the Secret Posts? The date for this year's Instagram One Day. (Can't wait!)
Sign up for the Secret Posts so you get the inside scoop.
After avoiding it for a long while, I've been playing on Pinterest a bit lately. Anyone else? Tell me your tips if you've got 'em, because while I like to browse, I end up seeing (and pinning) the same kind of stuff over and over. I'd like to use it to broaden my horizons, instead of just pinning stuff I already think it pretty or good.
For your weekend reading pleasure:
- Legendary letterhead from people like P.T. Barnum, Adam Ant, and Marilyn Monroe. This is pretty cool for a paper junkie like me.
- I have a famous Slim Aarons photograph in my living room of women lounging and laughing by a pool in Palm Springs. Here's the hidden history of the Kaufmann House (which I'm pretty sure you'll recognize as iconic).
- Oh, mamas. This is a read. The Heavy Bag.
- What exactly what happening in Grease? This made me laugh out loud, mainly because I loved this movie as a kid and absolutely no idea what it was about. Though I wonder if I internalized the messages more than I ever thought, because I am - was - a classic Sandy. (Warning for language on this piece.)
- This was....interesting? Horrifying? Impressive? Sad? I dunno. 24 Hours with a super rich family's concierge.
We have a huge week planned. Pirate turns 3 on Sunday, and Pigtail turns 5 next Saturday. We have family coming in for the birthday week and plan for presents and cake galore. Birthday week is a big deal in this house. I'll do my very best not to get too nuts on Instagram, but no promises.
PS - Thank you everyone for reading and sharing the posts I've been writing for the October challenge with the comments closed. I've been writing a lot this week, but three more weeks to go amidst lots of family obligations, and your encouragement has meant the world to me.