The kids started school this week. It was still a chaotic and busy few days, but everyone having space to themselves and their own thing going has been great for the whole family.
We also started the original Star Wars trilogy (episodes IV, V, & VI, they really made this thing as confusing as possible, right?) and that has sparked endless questions and clarifications and confusion and enthusiasm at our house. Mostly from me.
But it has been really nice to do something with the kids that isn't so tiny-kid-like. Our son is only 3 (nearly 4), but our daughter is almost 6 and she has all kinds of interesting thoughts and ideas about the world. I love talking to her about things. I didn't want to rush through the baby years, but Jeff and I have always talked about how fun it would be when the kids were a little older and we could have adventures with them. This week those adventures are happening in the living room, and that's just as fun.
(Speaking of Star Wars, Jeff showed me this behind-the-scenes video for the new movie due in December, and it gave me chills.)
My latest episode of the Sorta Awesome podcast went live today, and if you haven't listened to the show at all, THIS is the one I'm going to recommend. While we've covered fun topics like hosting a party and making adult friends, host Megan and I delve into something a little more serious this week by talking about our struggles with anxiety.
We worked hard not to make the topic too heavy (and in fact I start off the show talking about the beauty regimen I've recently taken on that is SO EMBARRASSING), but we do share the details of our anxiety stories, and our coping methods. If you have anxiety, I hope we did justice to our subject and you relate to our words. If you have a loved one with anxiety, this show might be something that will help you understand them better.
The communities surrounding the Sorta Awesome show are thriving! We are especially happy with the Sorta Awesome Hangout group on facebook, there are 700+ fabulous women in there sharing with one another. Sorta Awesome is also on Instagram now, so follow there for show news and discussion.
Lastly, Megan and I will be hosting a hangout in Oklahoma City next weekend. Because online is great, but face to face is better. We'd love to see you there! You don't have to be a die-hard Sorta Awesome listener or anything. If you're just looking for a casual little Sunday afternoon activity, we'll be at Bleu Garten in mid-town. RSVP here and come say hi!
This week on the HH facebook page, I shared a favorite find from the Nordstrom sale, a video that made me dance in my bed, another one that made me laugh and virtual fist-bump, and famous literary names we've all been saying wrong.
Don't forget to bust out your high school copy of The Grapes of Wrath so you can join us for the Read Great Books literature discussion in a few weeks. (More details here.) This one should be a doozy. RSVP here.
For your weekend reading pleasure:
- "Kids are anxious, afraid and risk-averse because parents are more focused on keeping their children safe, content and happy in the moment than on parenting for competence." from How Schools Are Handling an Overparenting Crisis.
- This article is very difficult to read, but I do think it's an important one: Emanuel AME Survivors Feel Forgotten As Life Moves Forward.
- I think about this a lot, but it was good to see it in writing. Raising Ugly Daughters.
- 11 Gift Ideas for Camera Lovers. Thought some of us might want to bookmark this one before the holidays. (I pin this kind of stuff on Pinterest if you're over there sometimes.)
- There's so many interesting tidbits in this article, you'll just have to go read it: Agatha Christie and the Golden Age of Poisons.
Happy weekend to you!