A few years ago, my husband asked what I wanted for Mother's Day and my response? A night alone in a hotel room. At the time, we were in the throes of sleep deprivation and the most heavenly gift I could imagine involved a cool room, a warm bed, and zero excuse to leave either.
We've continued that tradition several times, but I'll be collecting on this one in a few weeks. This weekend the forecast for Los Angeles is rainy, and our big plans require staying in our pajamas. Sensing a theme here?
Happy Mother's Day weekend to you!
This week on the HH facebook page I shared some of my favorite looks from the Met Gala, and a new book of essays I'm reading that had me weeping from the first minutes. Speaking of crying, these two things viral posts this week were emotional: Ryan Gosling eating cereal and Sheryl Sandberg's beautiful tribute to her husband.
We also discussed what kinds of blog posts we tend to gravitate towards (thanks for the thoughts here!). On the blog this week I gave a little bit of background for Notes from the Underground, the latest pick in the Read Great Books literature challenge. RSVP here for the discussion, which is on Monday, May 18.
Don't forget to enter to win the prize pack celebrating the launch of Jillian Lauren's Everything You Ever Wanted! Up for grabs is a stack of books, a bag of goodies, and a signed Weezer CD.
For your weekend reading pleasure:
- I have long admired Mary-Kate and Ashley Olson. Their style and their business sense are enviable. They do things unconventionally, as this article about their high-end line The Row explains.
- I thought the title of this article in the New York Times might be problematic. But on reading it, I realized it's better to talk about these differences than ignore them. What Black Moms Know.
- Do you think about this, too? I wonder what our daughters will think about when they're grown. If there was a Starbucks.
- Science reveals hip hop is the most important revolution in music in the last three decades. (Interesting look at science and music here.)
- There's something sort of riveting about this, isn't there? I don't wanna be, but I can't help it. Kim Kardashian Just Wants to be Seen.
Happy weekend to you!